Wednesday, July 22, 2020

07/22/20 MISSION TRIP TO CHINA #10 — Our team leader gave me a special responsibility. The parents of our interpreter “Dee” had chosen a young Chinese man for her to marry. But, probably because Dee had graduated from an American college in Colorado, she was resisting their wishes. My “secret” assignment was to discuss the situation with her until, hopefully, she would comply with her parents’ plan.
Whenever there was a spare moment, I talked with Dee about her future plans, what Scripture says about honoring one’s parents and God’s clear expectations for marriage: 1 + 1 + 2 = 4, i.e. 1 man plus 1 woman 2-gether 4 life. Obviously God wants marriages to be productive, joyful, purposeful, long-lasting pictures of the intimate relationships in the three-fold Godhead. Americans have basically two widely accepted and practiced schemes for finding one’s “mate”:  (1) dating several members of the opposite gender until we (magically?) “fall in love,” and/or (2) living together before marriage to test our compatibility. I reminded her of the dangerously high divorce rate in America, clear evidence that NEITHER scheme is working well.
She assured me that her parents were committed Christians with a long and durable marriage. She agreed with me that they wanted only the very best for her. Later on I met her fiancé; he seemed like a fine, intelligent, committed believer. He and I had several interesting and informative conversations.
After all that it was time for us to leave China. Dee had still not committed to marry him; but she promised to continue praying about it. What a blessing it was when I received several photos of their wedding a few weeks later, as well as a nice letter from Dee, thanking me for all the time and godly advice I had invested in her. The Lord be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment