Tuesday, June 9, 2020

06/09/20 A FAVORITE SHORT VERSE — I’m so very thankful to God for all the wonderful knowledge, skills, medications and equipment He has allowed our medical professionals to develop. My life is definitely better because of them. In general, in my own mind, I’m a “pretty tough guy” (whatever that means). But when it comes to all those shiny and sharp instruments that doctors and dentists jab, stab, poke and cut you with, sometimes I’m (sort of) a “chicken.”
Whenever I’m ill-at-ease waiting for some procedure, I tend to repeat over and over (usually under my breath) Psalm 56:3 (CSB), which says, “When I am afraid, I will trust in You.” Occasionally other patients notice my lips moving or hear snatches of my mantra and ask me about it. A few times they thanked me and began to repeat it for themselves!
A few years ago I was on a mission trip to China. As the Chinese believers were telling us how they had been harassed, beaten and tortured by the Communists, I shared that verse with them and suggested they repeat it themselves whenever they were afraid. The next thing I knew, hundreds of them were reciting it loudly in unison, over and over. Praise the Lord! Maybe you should try it… [It’s so short you’ve probably already memorized it!]

No comments:

Post a Comment