Wednesday, August 19, 2020

08/19/20 THE #1 MOST MISUSED BIBLE VERSE — In Matthew 18:19-20 (CSB), Jesus concluded His description and prescription of church discipline, “Again, truly I tell you, if two of you on earth agree about any matter that you pray for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there among them.”

First, in my experience V.20 is the MOST MISUSED verse in the entire Bible. At least two of my seminary professors and some of my favorite former pastors have quoted it each and every time that a scheduled church meeting, service or event resulted in a meager crowd. It seems that nearly everyone uses this verse to claim that Jesus blesses and supports SMALL groups. That notion is not necessarily wrong; but v.20 has NOTHING to do with smaller than anticipated crowds.

CONTEXT is universally agreed upon as the #1 MOST IMPORTANT ingredient in responsible interpretation of Scripture. And the context here is clearly, unmistakably church discipline! I have personally been involved in church discipline issues at several churches as deacon and pastor. ALL such issues are difficult, troublesome and risky. I’ve witnessed both pastors and deacons decide to abandon the process when the perceived pain became more than they could bear. But THAT’s EXACTLY where these verses APPLY! Jesus KNOWS that these issues are painful and puzzling. So He promises personally to be involved in our deliberations. That’s all the encouragement I’ve ever needed to persevere till the ultimate resolution. And, praise the Lord, I have personally been involved in the restoration of several penitent church members, who have become lifelong friends as a result!

No comments:

Post a Comment