Tuesday, August 4, 2020

08/04/20 WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO FOR YOU? — One fall Friday night years ago, Jared, our high school quarterback, got clobbered; his collarbone was broken. He left the game in an ambulance. We got smeared!

Jared was also a member of the 11-12th-grade guys SS class I taught. Two days later, the Scripture passage we were studying included Matthew 20:32-34 (CSB)Jesus stopped, called them, and said, “What do you want me to do for you?” 33 “Lord,” they said to him, “open our eyes.” 34 Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes. Immediately they could see, and they followed him.’ We also looked at Luke 18:40-43 ‘Jesus stopped and commanded that he be brought to him. When he came closer, he asked him, 41 “What do you want me to do for you?” “Lord,” he said, “I want to see.” 42 “Receive your sight.” Jesus told him. “Your faith has saved you.” 43 Instantly he could see, and he began to follow him, glorifying God. All the people, when they saw it, gave praise to God.’

For an ice-breaker, I asked Jared a question: “Suppose I had seen you right after that vicious, painful tackle and asked you, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ What would you have said?” Obviously still in pain, Jared said something cynical and sarcastic which I dare not repeat here! He implied that my question was absolutely stupid, that anyone with even half a brain would already have known what he wanted and needed most at that moment!

“Hmmm, so, was Jesus’ question just as dumb as you claim mine was?” I asked. The guys weren’t entirely sure. I reminded them that sometimes lame or paralyzed people came to Jesus and the very first thing He said was, “Your sins are forgiven.” Frankly, frequently we are WRONG about what our #1 need truly is! JESUS CHRIST IS ABLE TO MEET EVERY ONE OF OUR NEEDS, from the smallest to the greatest! They all agreed!

No comments:

Post a Comment